Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Dammit, someone is trying to get me healthy.

As most gamers are aware of, there are games like Dance Dance Revolution which require you to move with the beat and step on the right step at the right time. Now this game has become highly addictive to some and very popular to gamers all over the world. Now things are going from bad to worse.

Today I saw a game called Yourself! Fitness. This is an exercise game. I kid you not. You put this game in your X Box and input your information into the game and it will put you on a program to get you lean and fit. I swear I'm not making this up.

You have a virtual trainer that puts you through a workout a few times of week. They put you through a program that will make you healthier. There's even a warning at the beginning of the game which tells you that if your feeling lightheaded or something like that, to stop playing and wait until your feeling better before continuing.

Now initially I scoffed at this idea. I mean really. Why the hell would I buy a work out video game when I could rent a DVD or go to the gym? Then I thought about going to the gym. There is nothing more intimidating than a fat guy going into a gym for the first time and seeing lean healthy people all around you. You feel so inadequate when you want in and you never want to feel that way again and end up never coming back.

The DVD on the other hand is something that you can do privately but it's the same thing over and over again, with the game, it will change your routine.

Right now this game is only available for the X-Box but it's suppose to be released for the Playstation 2 in February. Now I don't have an X-box but I do have a Playstation. MMM Maybe I can get a used copy in April or something. People are bound to return this thing after a few weeks of not playing it or better, yet, watching the virtual trainer work out while you sit on the couch eating ice cream. I guess, just like everything else, its all about the honor system.

My 2 bytes

No comments: