Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I'll decide what to watch, thank you.

Saving Private Ryan has been ruled as 'not indecent' by the FCC. Well thank god for that, someone down there is finally being realistic about things.

It was around Remembrance Day (I think) that ABC in the U. S. decided to air Saving Private Ryan in honor of Veterans and a huge amount of affiliates refused to show the movie for fear of being fined because someone would find it indecent. Well someone did (or a bunch of someone's complained) and the FCC had to investigate and made their ruling towards sanity.

While Saving Private Ryan has a gritty and harsh beginning, it considered accurate. A lot of people died that day. It was a bloody battle with many lives lost and I'm pretty sure people were swearing and not using the words "Oh gosh darn, I'm got my arm shot off". Is the reality of war offensive to people like the Parents Television Council ? (I'm not linking them, screw em). Am I wrong but did these people die in order to protect freedom? The same freedom these parents groups are fighting against. First it starts with words and pictures and next thing it becomes ideas and before you know it, your freedoms are gone. (Is this how things are in police states? ) I remember watching some mini series about Hitler and the Nazi party. In it they burned books 'for the sake of decency' as well.

The fact that these people are claiming a movie that honors the courage of veterans during a time of insanity is indecent and dishonors those same veterans who died on that beach over 50 years ago and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh yeah, the FCC also said "Will and Grace" is ok, as well as an episode of "C. S. I. " was fine as well. I'm really starting to dread these people and I hope they go away. It's because of these people that I'm glad to be Canadian and live in a country where freedom of expression is encouraged and if the 'F Bomb' is dropped, its for the sake of the show. Canadian programs like 'North of 60' and 'Trailer Park Boys' have people cursing in it and its to add to the story. Who's going to believe that some pot growing, mullet wearing, white trash dumb ass isn't going to say fuck all the time. I heard that someone tried to bring the show to the U. S. but 'clean it up', yeah right. Screw up your own TV programs, don't mess with ours.

Well I hope something happens soon down there because its going to get from bad to worse before you know it. I hope that someone down there realizes that and stands up to protect their freedoms. (Not like the senator who wants to control what is decent on Cable and Satellite as well)

My 2 bytes.

No comments: