Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Good Job

I was going to write some bullshit post about how I hate waiting for the people behind the counter at McDonalds to put my food in a bag so I can it to work. I watched my Breakfast Burritos sit under the heat lamp for 2 minutes before someone bothered to put them in a bag and give them to me. I was going to write about how I should be able to charge the damn place a dollar for every minute they make me wait, but then a coworker told me some good news. She’s leaving. She gave her 24 hour notice today. Now normally I’m a firm believer of the 2 weeks notice policy, but they have been piling the more and more work onto her and they refused to give her a pay raise. Well C’est la vie.

I really don’t want to do an anti my company post but there are some things that this company has to realize that the Calgary job market is not like Toronto, Moncton or anywhere else in the country. Calgary is a place where KFC offers medical and dental benefits. Calgary is a place where McDonalds advertises that they are hiring ion the side of buses, and in an ads in the movie theatre before the movie starts. Calgary is a place where Tim Horton’s is offering scholarships to its employee to go back to school. In Calgary, it’s an employee’s market. There’s a store in Chinook Center that’s offering $12.00 to start (in sales). Heck, you go into the mall and the sign on the door says that they’re hiring. This is the mall, not the stores in the mall.

The whole province is short staffed right now. I remember reading a few months ago about how a lot of the admin people at City hall got recruited by the oil companies and some people just don’t want to understand that. Some companies are content to think that they are the ones to who get to pick and choose, not realizing that it’s the other way and they’re going to suffer for it. Company loyalty will only last for far when another company offers you over $20,000 more a year right after they refused to give you a dollar raise.

So my friend will now be earning $27.00/hr. While I’m happy for her, there’s one little problem. SHE’S MAKING MORE MONEY THAN ME !!!!!

There are some projects going on around here that I want in my resume so I’ll probably stick around, but I might have to move on soon as well. Unless the company realizes what is really going on in Calgary.

My 2 Bytes.

No comments: