Thursday, December 09, 2004

Its sad when this happens

For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been watching the local news as they been talking about a newborn’s elephant fight for life at the Calgary Zoo. Young Keemaya was born with an infected umbilical cord and was immediately rejected by its mother. I watched the same footage over and over again of the little elephant as I listened to the news reports about her condition, from bad, to good, to worse now she slipped into a coma and died.

During 3 weeks of Keemaya’s life, vets were there 24/7 to watch over her and support was coming in from all over the word, but one thing bothered me. They never named her until after her death. I don’t know if it was to remain objective and not become too attached to the young elephant, whose odds were 50/50 or for some other reason. I think she should have been named right away. Perhaps knowing that she had a name and an identity might have helped? Some would say that she wouldn’t understand things like that since she was a baby elephant but I wonder. Are we the only species with a sense of identity?

I’m am honestly sadden by the loss of young Keemaya. It’s really sad when you think that she never stood much of a chance and for her to go at this time of year, where people are full of you of the holidays. It’s really sad. God shouldn’t take babies, even baby elephants.

My 2 bytes

No comments: