Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I did it. It's real. I'm going to the UK

I booked my flight and hotel yesterday. Bought and paid for. The money has been spent. The vacation time booked. The only question left is if I should take the Duck Tour of London. I'm going to be there for a full week, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to meeting some people that I've known for years, but have not meet face-to-face.

I think the worst part about my lack of blogging recently is that I haven't been to Rosevibe lately, but I still follow her through Facebook. I originally resisted the call to join Facebook, but the new queen of social media has converted me over

I'm really looking forward to seeing this part of the world. It will be interesting being the person with the foreign accent for a change.

I've always been able to blend in fairly easily in the US, only being called out as a Canadian a couple of times, but this time, it's going to be more obvious. I'm going to be the foreigner. I just don't want to be mistaken for American. I am Canadian after all.

I did a lot of planning on this trip which should have happened last year, but the whole 6 weeks of unemployment threw that out the window, but I did recover and I'm flying out on British Airways. I was debating on if I should go with British Airways, or Air Canada. I even asked the opinion of some friends who have flown both, as well as asked my friends on Facebook. It turned out the obvious choice was British Airways, on Flight 102 from Calgary, to London direct. No stopover in Iceland. The price wasn't that much more for the direct flight. I got a deal.

What is really going to be interesting is that I picked a 4 star hotel that's part of a Football Stadium, so I'll get more of a UK experience I think. It's close to a "tube" station, so I'm looking forward to experiencing that as well. I've done public transit for most of my life, and I was impress with the Chicago train system, and I'm betting that London's will be better.

I'll probably be taking a lot of pictures in London, and possibly getting into a bit of trouble, if I hang out with Stef, but I am looking forward to it.

I can't wait for August to come around.

My 2 Bytes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe you're going! I am SO excited for you!!! And Vics too. You both were my first blogger friends ever and I just can't imagine what it would be like to meet y'all. Give Vics a big hug for me :) AND since I probably can't make it, make sure y'all call me :) like old times!

Stefanio said...

The Tube I an experience but I wouldn't say its world class anymore, more of a dirty, overcrowded, expensive, poorly run service that we have to put up with......I'm sure you'll live it.

Which stadium are you staying at? If its the Arsenal ground *spits* I won't be coming near you until you've thoroughly washed, I'm a Spurs fan.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! A Spurs fan in the UK! That's rich! I'll send you an authentic Spurs fan shirt ;)