Thursday, July 17, 2008

Holes in my City

It’s been a week. I know I know. I remember when I originally started the blog, I was planning on writing something everyday, and for awhile, that was happening, but I’m still getting into a new routine, and …I’m working on it.

So I’ve noticed something about Calgary recently. The city is full of holes; really big holes. Huge holes that are the size of a city block and go down from 3 to 10 floors. What I’m saying is that there’s a lot of construction going on in the city right now.

Twice a day, I pass by a really big hole, almost the size of 2-city block. In fact, they destroyed the street between the 2 blocks and now have built a bridge to reconnect the 2 intersections again. The bridge will eventually be part of the underground structure of this large building, which will be known as “The Bow”. This building is suppose to be the tallest office tower in Canada, (with the exception of Toronto), and that’s just one of the big holes in this town.

I haven’t taken the time to count all the “holes” in Calgary right now, because I do have a life. (Ok not much of a life, but I do have one), but I have counted construction cranes while traveling to and from work. So far I’ve counted 20 different cranes. That means there are a lot of buildings going up.

My theory is as the price of oil goes up, so will the towers. Calgary is home to a lot of oil companies and different types companies, from all over the world are setting up office here, and with that comes the money.

Recently a couple of new penthouse apartments came on the market here in the city. They were two story condo apartments in a new condo high-rise that is almost completed. The asking price, (wait for it) 10 MILLION DOLLARS!! EACH! Are they shitting me? At this point, I’m thinking that I don’t ever have a snowballs chance in hell of ever owning my own home in this city. I’ve been thinking about a condo, but the anything decent starts around $200k, and it’s only recently that I’ve been able to even start putting money away. I need to finish my list of things to buy so I can start saving enough for a down payment on a place.

Now I’m thinking that eventually the trickle down economic thing will help me out. I’m already making more money than I’ve ever had in my life. Also I’m starting to get customers at spacestationanime.com, so there is hope for me. I still have the plan to own a condo in Tampa Bay one day, I just have the feeling that in the near future, that my life will be centered around one of those holes.

My 2 Bytes.

No comments: