Monday, July 25, 2005

I'm going to bitch slap the BBC.

I came across this article this morning and I think someone needs to have the pickle removed from their ass. Apparently Canada and Denmark are having a disagreement over which nation owns a small island named Hans Island. What really has pissed me off is how the BBC's website is trying to make us look like an invading army.

The story talks about how the Canadian defense minister visits the island and Denmark is mad. Ok fine, no biggie. The story then talks about how some Danish minister named Tom Hoeyem, visited this place in 1984 and put up a Danish flag and put a note in a bottle, which said “Welcome to Denmark”. It pissed off the Canadian government but that's fine. This year, our defense minister visited the island and did pretty well the same thing (except they put up a Canadian flag) and now Denmark is sending a “letter of protest.” That's fine too. What I want to know is why the visit in 84 is described as a visit but the visit this year is described as an incursion.

Someone needs to go down to the BBC newsroom and start slapping people around. This is about as fair and balanced as FOXNEWS people. I'm not going to go into the politics of the issue (which the BBC never bothered to mention), instead I want to know why we were misrepresented here. I want to know why the BBC has to make Canada look like the bad guy by using words like “incursion”.

Looking up visit at dictionary.com, the first thing I read is ”To call on socially: visit friends.”. That's nice, someone is making a social call. Then I look up incursion and I read this “An aggressive entrance into foreign territory; a raid or invasion”. Nope, the BBC isn't playing with words here.

Anyway, I sent a “feedback remark” about the story, complaining about the choice of words and I'll let everyone know if the BBC responds to the Hoser from Calgary. Oh and I'm going to pay closer attention to what they write about Canada now, and if I see more of this biased news writing, then I'm going to make an incursion of my own. I'm going to fly down there and crosscheck these “media types” into their cubicles.

My 2 bytes.

No comments: