Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Some people need to be smacked around a bit

I have this dumb kid to supervise and lately and he's really annoying the piss out of me. He's one of those guys who talks like he's real cool and that he knows everything but in fact the doesn't know a damn thing.

I think the worse part of it was last night when he was asking who I hoped would win the election and I mentioned that I thought Kerry would be more friendly towards Canada so I would prefer him. Then he went off about cloning and gay marriage and I just shook my head and thought, all he knows how to do is talk and not listen because he knew nothing about cloning. I talked about stem cells and growing replacement organs and helping people like the Late Christopher Reeves and Michael J. Fox and he comes up with this crap about overpopulation in 1000 years, not even understanding that the birth rate has been dropping for some time, even in the developing countries this has started to occur.

Then he started tell me about how gay marriage was wrong and again, he had no facts. He just went on and on. By this time, other people were listening in on this conversation and one person who I know has a very rational mind joined the conversation. Now he admitted that he didn't like homosexuals but he defended their right to "marry" but he felt the name marriage should be changed. He even went on to say that the whole concept of marriage in its current state is outdated and I actually agree with him. With the divorce rate so high, perhaps we should be looking a new 'legal' concept of marriage.

The first thing he said (and I totally agree with him) is get rid of the name marriage. Marriage as a legal term anyway. It has to be removed so we can have this separation between religious beliefs and laws. Then he even proposed that these unions would now be for a specific time with renewal options. Now with divorce rates so high in some places, this would solve a lot of legal issues (I'm sure the divorce lawyers can get in union renewal law instead).

Anyway as this goof went on and on he started talking about how homosexuality was a choice and again this isn't the case. I hold him that there was even homosexuality in the animal world .

Anyway this turned into a hot debate as others inserted their opinions and I saw a lot of bias and misunderstand. I have friends who are gay and I know that they have the same dreams and goals as everyone else and seeing this attitude does bother me but I do hope that this will chance and I believe that it will. The proof of that was standing around me. People of different coloured skin also happened to listening to the conversation and I though, there was a time when this argument would have been about their rights as opposed to the rights of homosexuals but we've seem to cross that barrier and they are thought of as equal. Now that is a good sign and I hope that homosexuals will be thought of the same way and soon because these uneducated boneheads are really starting to piss me off.

My 2 bytes

1 comment:

Kati said...

Well, being that you know this kid, can you hit him upside the head for me? Also, I am not near Canada.