Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I decide what I write, not some damn censor

I'm part of a online RPG group that plays via a message board and e-mail. You post what your character says and does. It's like that (ok I'm part geek(OK I'm a TOTAL GEEK)). Anyway one person made this post about the work FUCK. He was concerned about the use of this word and wondering if it was appropriate. Well to that I saw FUCK FUCK FUCK.

How dare this one person decide what I can or cannot say? What is it with some people who feel that they have the right to decide how another person can act, talk, listen, watch or even think? You know that this is all Janet Jackson's fault.

Ever since that Super bowl incident occurred last year, the FCC in the U.S. has been on a rampage to stamp out what they think is offensive content. What is even worse is that the "Religious Right" (I don't know why they call themselves that because they are neither) have been using the FCC to push their agenda of making America more like the; the closed minded fascists. Isn't the U.S. supposed to be the land of "free speech"?

If they're not careful, then more of their rights are going to be taken away from them. It's at this point where I no longer want to cross the border. I'm concerned that the U.S. "Thought" Police will come after me because of my blog.

Around Remembrance Day (Veterans day in the U.S.), Saving Private Ryan was suppose to air but many ABC stations choose not to air the program for fear of being fined because of the graphic nature of some scenes (the D-Day invasion was harsh, but pretty accurate apparently). What is next, documentaries will not be aired? When the hell did this small group get the right to decide what the hell I want to watch? Its makes me feel glad to be Canadian so I don't have to deal with this kind of bullshit (Actually I do but not often and we don't take it. The CRTC will pay for their arrogance).

Now I guess I should touch on this in order to be fair. In Canada, it is illegal to promote hate, so say a rally that talks about Killing (Insert minority group here) is illegal and the people who are responsible would be charged with a hate crime. I actually had this argument before when I mentioned this someone (some left wing U.S. University student) and she started screaming about free speech. Well my answer is this, we have free speech in Canada but you are responsible for what you say. You can't yell Fire in a crowded building, causing a panic and people getting hurt and not have to answer for your actions. We have something here called (this is going to shock some people) accountability. None of this, "My mom didn't love me enough" or "blame society" crap. You did it, you answer for it.

As for the RPG email group? Fuck'em those Fucking Fuckers.

My 2 bytes.



No comments: