Sunday, November 07, 2004

I'm really starting to hate the political process

Maybe it’s all these elections going on here and in the states (here in Calgary, we’ve had 2 in the last 6 months with another one on the 22nd) but right now I’m starting to think that the political landscape is filled with selfish, bitter slime balls.

I’m not sure when this ugly trend started but my theory is that it started with Rush Limbaugh, that conservative radio show guy. Now to my knowledge, he was the first guy to start this slam and blame campaign and calling it entertainment, and it just keeps getting worse and worse.

I’ve had limited exposure to Bill O'Reilly (we don’t get Fox News in Canada yet, thanks to the Liberals( The Canadian political party) censors at the CRTC, but they let Al Jazeera into the country) but he’s another one who starting to piss me off I also find him to be a blowhard that’s in love with himself. What kind of nutball writes a political commentary book for kids? What going to be in there? Stories about how taxes are lowered and everyone lives happily ever after? (Not going to talk about the phone sex scandal)

Though the democrats are getting good at this game as well, in fact I think they’ve gotten better then the Republicans. All I have to say is Michael Moore. I cannot stand the sight of this guy. He is so full of himself that it makes me want to barf. Now it can be argued that he’s a documentary filmmaker, not a political analyst. Then what the hell was he doing covering the Republican National Convention for USA Today? (Oh and I thought all the people at the convention calling him fat was out of line as well).

I’m not sure when it got from bad to worse but I have a feeling that Michael Moore’s book “Stupid White Men” had something to do with it, though Al Franken’s “Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot” was when it fell down to the current level because that’s when the personal attacks started. Now were seeing books like “Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man” and that documentary “Michael Moore Hates America”, though the filmmaker is quoted in saying that the film isn’t about political beliefs but accountability.

Oh and this trend is not limited to the U.S. either. There’s a book coming out by former Liberal MP Sheila (God I HATE her) Copps. Now in a “leaked” exert (leaked my ass, she purposely released it) she talks about how our current Prime Minster Paul Martin, back when he was finance minister, wanted to throw out the Canada Health Act but she, as Deputy Prime Minister prevented this from happening. Now we have people in the same political party turning on each other. This book is nothing but a way to get back at the P.M. (Prime Minister) after she lost her bid to become the leader of the Liberal party and then being forced out of office and loosing her seat in the House of Commons. She apparently thought that she was special because she always had her nose up former P.M. Jean (Doesn’t know his head from his ass) Chrétien's ass, but after she lost her seat she’s out for revenge and she doesn't care what damage she does. I’m just glad that the current P.M. has decided to take the high road. Hey he’s friends with Bono so he can’t be all bad Actually I like him, and I hope he can repair the damage that Chrétien has caused during his time in office and be able to say the word Liberal without grinding my teeth.

Even in this provincial election, things are getting disgusting. Now we have this political party called the Alberta Alliance (Not putting a link to these scumbags) putting out a flier claiming that our Premier Ralph Klein is responsible for the death of 283 babies last year and with that comment, they have a picture of a baby that receiving medical treatment. Did I mention that the Premier’s party, the Tories and this Alliance party are both right wing parties? (Alberta has been right wing for so long that I can’t imagine that it would ever change). Oh and did I mention that I had never heard of these guys before this flier came out?

I remember reading somewhere that politicians were suppose to be respectable poeple and I also remember once that political analysts were adults who discussed things rationally, like adult instead of a bunch of 8 year old children throwing insults. If I want to see type of crap done by adults, I’ll watch Jerry Springer, not CNN.

My 2 bytes

1 comment:

Vics said...

*sniff* I'm beginning to think i am truly the only person in the virtual world who has no clue and even less concern about politics...
seriously - the only politician i can name in britain is tony blair - and thats only cos he's pm.
anywhere else - forget it. Unless they are in the news or mentioned 24/7 it's unlikely i'll have even a sniff of a clue as to who they are - never mind what they do.

is this a really bad thing? i'm beginning to think maybe it is - i'm sure the political bandwagon went chasing after the sports one, right by my house with the lights off running on silent - just to make sure i'd never even think of jumping on it. just... no. *hug*