Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Fat Cats, Alley Cats...whatever

(Warning. I’m not sure if I make any sense in the post)

Yesterday Richard Branson, was in town pimping the Virgin Music Festival, which is cool I guess having a non oil mega rich guy in town. On Saturday, Donald Trump was in town doing to spiel about Real Estate for the Learning Annex. So it appears that Calgary is a city that attracts Billionaires. If only I could hang around with these guys get some “funding” for my projects. Then again, I’m sure there are a lot of people in far greater need than me who could use some “funding”.

Calgary is quickly becoming a city of haves and have not’s; city where the rich enjoy life and others just scrape by. Personally I’m getting tired of this cycle, and I’m sure that I’m not the only one. Everyday I see people coming and going to and from the downtown core. At the same time I see people wandering around like they have no place to go. How this so called city of countless jobs have failed them.

I believed I’ve blogged about how dangerous this city is getting in the past. How there are places that normal people should not go. Either it’s aggressive homeless people, Asian street gangs or just people with no respect for others. Either way, they are fighting to get what they want and they don’t care who gets hurt in the process. My feeling is on that, this is Canada and it’s not supposed to be that ugly here, isn’t it?

Earlier this week I was chatting with HRLady and she was telling me about some 50 something guy who was going on and on about how he couldn’t imagine anyone living on less than $70,000 and how she was fighting the urge the beat this guy within an inch of his life with her laptop so she would get the satisfaction of shutting the guy up, but also breaking her laptop so she would need to have a new one ordered (and possibility get a pink one). (Ok I might have exaggerated a bit on her anger but she was not happy).(Oh and this isn’t a commentary on how cheap the forever unnamed (at least until I quit) company that I work for). It’s the reality of this city, cost of living goes through the roof, wages not following with rate of inflation, and you have more people on the streets while you have the “elite” enjoying wine and cheese from they big ass homes.

Calgary has become a city of Fat Cats and people are paying the price for it. Paying for it with their dignity, their pride, and in some cases their lives. Our police force is undermanned and overworked, and something needs to be done. Maybe the Fat Cat can do something about it. A few years ago there was a fundraising drive (including a lottery) to help purchase a second Police helicopter for the city, so why can’t they something to help the city out (other than paying for security in their gated communities).

Now I’d be a liar if I didn’t say that I want to be a fat cat, but at least I have enough sense to remember where I came from and that you need to give back, but not like a friend on mine who’s part of the Calgary Chapter of the Guardian Angels, but perhaps support them financially. Let’s face it, the days of leaving your door unlocked are over. If they ever actually existed.

My 2 Bytes.

No comments: