Sunday, February 20, 2005

Some sports I just don't get

Today, like any other Sunday, was uneventful. I channel surfed and did some other stuff and then I found something that interested me. There was a free preview of Nascar In Car. Its 7 channels of Nascar auto racing goodness, if your into that sort of thing.

The first channel was the normal Fox broadcast (I think it was Fox) and the other 6 channels are live feeds from inside 6 of the cars. Now at first I thought that it would be interesting but after 5 minutes I became really bored. All I saw was the driver in his car driving and all he really was doing was driving straight and turning left. Boring ! ! ! !

Maybe I just don't understand Nascar. It's something that I will admit, but watching cars turn left at high speed while watching the fans getting "shit faced" just doesn't appeal to me. I remember seeing races on TV with people parking their RV's in the middle of the Oval and sitting on the roof and watching the race. I DON'T GET IT.

Then again, these are the same people who tried to put sensors in a Hockey puck so it would glow blue on the ice. Yeah they can see a white baseball in a cloudy sky but they can't see a black puck on the ice.

As well I'm reminded by some people (Vics) that it makes no sense to call football, football. Since football is really soccer. Then again, to be fair, I think she does have a point. Our football is more like warfare than kicking a ball around. Maybe they're right, actually I think they are right now. Oh well.

Did you know that in some parts of the world, people go crazy for Cricket? Is it just me but does cricket seem like the most boring sport in the world? I don't know but it seems incredibly lame and boring.

I guess it has something to do with upbringing and culture. Perhaps I wouldn't feel the same about Hockey if I hadn't grown up playing street hockey and watching it on TV. So perhaps it is culture. Who knows but then again people sometimes look beyond what they know and try new things. If that didn't happen, then we would never have had the Jamaican Bobsled team (and that great movie Cool Runnings) so I should keep an open mind with Nascar and Cricket I guess, but Figure Skating will always be a fixed girly sport.

My 2 bytes.

No comments: