Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Kelowna B.C. The Crack Capital of Canada

I’m proud to be Canadian. I’ve said that before but every once in a while someone up here comes up with a really DUMB idea and it’s usually a politician. Though this time, it’s not from Ottawa (that’s the Capital of Canada EH!), it has come from Kelowna B.C. A mayoral candidate has come up with an interesting solution in dealing with the homeless problem in their community. Get them to work and pay them in CRACK.  Yes that’s right, they want to get the homeless people working and pay them in CRACK COCAINE!!!

So you have homeless people needing a job to buy food, booze or drugs, and now this person wants to eliminate the middle man. I can now imagine the mass migration of drug addicts to Kelowna. This city that was once known for the Okanogan River will now be home to thousands of crack addicts. Makes me want to raise my kids there now huh?

Oh, here’s the theory. This person figures that the homeless people will gain so much self esteem from doing these jobs that they won’t want the CRACK. Does this guy have any understanding of what an addiction is? These people are hooked and need to go into REHAB to get clean. Doing manual labour isn’t going to instantly remove the need for the drug.

Honestly, I wish I was making this up but I guess there are some people out there who are so dense that they just don’t understand like outside their little circle. I bet this person lives in la la land. I bet this person has never suffered real hardship. They don’t understand the allure of a drug that will give them some escape from the horrors of everyday life. Bottom line this guy is a dumb ass.

On the brighter side, I can except to see the drug fiends leave Calgary en mass to the promised land of Kelowna. So if Kelowna wants to be the Crack Capital of Canada, be my guest.

My 2 bytes.

No comments: