Saturday, August 28, 2004

Lawn Darts. A toy for kids or a deadly weapon.

Back when I was a kid, I remember exploring my friend’s garages and sometimes I would find a lawn dart set. The concept was easy enough, throw the dart into the air and it would land on the ground. However we got bored with that concept rather quickly. Instead, we would throw it into the air, right over us and run like hell. This always seemed like fun to us. Running from the possibility of this heavy metal dart would hand on our heads and pierce our skulls. (Don't tell me no one else ever tried that.)

Today, all toys are tested to be absolutely safe now. Is it just me but is this going to result in a generation of wimps? How are today's children going to overcome future obstacles if they can't handle a little pain? Children wear bike helmets now, to protect themselves. At what point are all kids going to turn into bubble boys, protected from all dangers from the outside world.

As a result, a lot of these "Protected" kids are getting out of hand. Children swearing to parents and the parents can't discipline them because it would be considered abuse, and from what I've seen, some of these kids need to have the shit kicked out of them. They need to experience fear. I saw some twelve year old swearing at his mother and she did nothing. If anyone is living in fear, it’s the parents; fear of being arrested because they're trying to discipline their children.

These kids grow up never knowing discipline because of this. Now if it were up to me, I'd rather see my child hurt themselves a bit as children or grow up and get hurt a lot in jail.

My 2 bits

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree to this one. I think that this is why we have so amny offenders out there now. My daughter has had first hand experience with these kids and I think that if they just had more disipline then things would be different.
Brenda