Friday, November 23, 2007

Book banning is bad

Notice: The Photo Friday has been delayed due the the presence of Stupid People


I know normally I would put a funny picture up, but dammit, this really pisses me off. There’s a Catholic School in Ontario (I’m actually surprised that this didn’t happen out here in Alberta, we’re Bible thumper territory) who has ordered the book The Golden Compass removed from its libraries. This after the school board received a single complaint. I thought this bullshit didn’t happen in Canada.

So this book, a fantasy novel, was written by Phillip Pullman, who just happens to be an atheist, and while I have yet to read the book, (I guess I need to so I don’t look like I don’t know what I’m talking about), I understand that some groups feel that the book series is Anti-Christian. So of course this book must be banned, the author hunted down and killed. I hear that he lives down the street from Salman Rushdie, so we can go with the Muslim Fundaments and after we all can go on a picnic and celebrate our intolerance of new ideas. Oh, and after we can all get together with the Nazi’s and sing camp fire songs as we burn all the copies of the “offensive material”. You know, its shit like this which makes me embarrassed to be Catholic; then again, I’m not a very good Catholic because I have an open mind about things.

I remember back in High School when I found a copy of Karl Marx’s “The Communist Manifesto” in the school library. At first, I was surprised to see it, and to be honest I thought it didn’t belong in the library, but I was only in grade 10, and to be honest, I was a dumb kid, as well as gullible. I soon learned that the last thing I want is a bunch of closed minded dumb people deciding what I can, and cannot read, see, or hear. I now am thankful that the Catholic School board of Fort McMurray for understanding that in order for a student to grow, they should be exposed to new and different ideas, even if they might be unpopular to certain groups. Being Catholic doesn’t mean you have to be intolerant (I think someone needs to tell the Pope that).

What really bothers me is that these actions were done because of a single complaint. Doesn’t this busy body have better things to do? If this person is such a devout catholic, perhaps she should be helping the homeless instead of bitching about a book? I don’t know if this person is a man or a woman, but when I think about it, I get the image of Kyle’s mom from South Park, and I get to urge to quote Cartman and say “Kyle, why does your mom get some bug up her ass each month?”. I also bet this person is also a Stupid Bitch.

Again, I haven’t read the book in question, but I plan on do so, and I’m definitely going to see the movie. Oh, if I see someone protesting the movie at my local theare, they are going to get an ear full.

My 2 Bytes

No comments: