Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I was really expecting more from you Google.

Earlier today I read something about a new Google service and I went. "YEAH, let check it out". As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of everything Google does. Right down to the Google Deskbar, and every other thing Google has. I remember saying that I have "PROPERTY OF GOOGLE" tattooed on my ass, but this new Google search is actually lame.

This "video search" goes through recent closed captions of television programs and I thought, Cool. I can now download transcripts of TV shows, but unfortunately this thing blows. (Sorry Google). At the very least I want an option that will allow me to read the transcript of an entire show instead of little snippets. I don't even care about the lack of video, (though someone else might). I just get 5 sets of quotes during the program I selected and Google doesn't always select what you need. In fact for a search about "Thunderbirds", I found an episode of Ebert and Roeper and clicked on that. The next page had 5 quotes but one of the quotes had a picture of a "Lean Pockets" commercial and the text was about buying Birthday cards. What the… I'm glad this is still in Beta Google because in its current form, its crap.

Now what I wanted was the ability to download an entire transcript of a TV show so I could enjoy it. I would love to download an episode of "Live with Regis and Kelly", print out the transcripts and reenact the show. Yeah, I could get a friend and we could be Regis and Kelly. Oh better yet, I could download Oprah transcripts and my friends and I could take turns at being Oprah. Personally I would be reenacting the nightly Letterman rant when he gets to the desk.

This is a nice first attempt Google, but it needs work. Its too bad because I really wanted to pretend that I'm Kelly Ripa . . David Letterman and do the monologue and introduce the guests. It would be fun. I could become David Letterman but noo… instead we get this failed attempt. This is not like you Google. I didn't know that you knew how to make crap. Well even the mighty fail sometimes. I might have to get that tattoo removed if this keeps up.

My 2 bytes.

No comments: