Thursday, September 17, 2015

He's Muslim,. He must be a terrorist.

There's this 14 year old  boy who's name is Ahmed Mohamed. He apparently likes to tinker with electronics, and built a home made clock. So he takes it to his school to show his teacher. now maybe I'm crazy, but I believe that a teacher is support to encourage their students to pursue their quest for knowledge. Encourage them to better themselves. Well this isn't the case in Texas. Instead he's questioned about the device, and take into custody for making a suspected bomb.

I forgot to mention that the boy is Muslim, there it must have been a bomb. THIS IS RACISM AT IT'S WORST. Before, you say I'm not being fair about what happened. I ask, would this happen to a white person? I say not. It's the same thing with #BlackLivesMatter. While some people are saying all lives matter, and I do agree with that. It's not white people being shot by the police.

Now, being Canadian, I see one fundamental difference between myself, and our neighbors to the south. I do not live in fear. When I watch US news, the top stories are usually about how someone has been killed in one form or another. In Canada, the top story isn't about fear and death.

It seems to me, that certain people, groups, or even political parties thrive on fear. Personally, I see it as a way to hold them back. If you're scared all the time, how are you going to go outside, meet your neighbors, and form a community. That's not going to happen if you're hiding in your home because of the threat from (insert religious group/ethnic group here). Personally, I would be nervous around white Americans. Whenever there's a mass shooting in the US, it's most likely done by a white person. 

I remember hearing about a gun shop owner having a gun sale during 9/11 this year, where if you said Muslim, you would get a discount. This is a perfect example of how people are trying to profit from your fear. Now there have been reports of extremists living in Calgary going off to join ISIS. In fact, some of them were living in my building . I'm not kidding, the picture of the building in the link is my apartment building. I may have very well, shared an elevator with a ISIS terrorist.Does this mean that I'm now scared of anyone in my building who follows Islam? Not a chance.

I have worked with, and befriended many people of the Muslim faith. I've even met a family who has to free Iraq during the first Gulf War, and they were the kindest people I've ever met.

Sure there are some bad seeds out there, but these days, i see equal opportunity hate out there. Honestly, I'm more nervous around White Americans than follows of Islam. They're not the ones who want to walk about my city armed.

My 2 Bytes

No comments: